Friday 17 December 2010

Another challenge

What? Another challenge? Even after I said I would really limit them next year (to myself anyway)? Yep. I just couldn't resist one called Foodie's Reading Challenge! Not with my addiction to TV cooking programmes and love of TV chefs and cooks such as Nigel Slater, Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Rick Stein, and The Hairy Bikers. Never miss any of them. So anyway, the Foodie's Reading Challenege:



The challenge is being hosted by Margot at
Joyfully Retired and there is a special blog with all the details here.

Here’s how it works:

1. Decide how many food books you want to read in 2011 and choose your level of reading. Keep in mind this is a challenge – a thrown-down. Go a bit beyond what you think you can really do. Levels:

Nibbler: 1 to 3 books
Bon Vivant: 4 to 6 books
Epicurean: 7 to 9 books
Gourmet: 10 to 12
Glutton: More than 12

2. Grab the challenge button and write a post on your blog so we can spread the word. No blog? That’s okay. Sign up in the comments section.

3. As you read each book for the challenge, come back here and tell us about it. On January 1st I’ll provide pages so you can post links for your reviews. Non-bloggers will use the comment section.

I'm going to try for 'Bon Vivant', 4 to 6 books. My first inclination was to do 'Nibbler' but, well, nothing ventured etc. What I decide to read will probably change through the year but five possibilites already on my tbr mountain are:

Eating for England - Nigel Slater
Cook's Delights: An Anthology of Food Fantasy and Indulgence edited by Helen Saberi and Madeline Swan
Humble Pie - Gordon Ramsay
The Nasty Bits - Anthony Bourdain
Food: True Stories of Life on the Road edited by Richard Sterling
Garlic and Sapphires - Ruth Reichl
Thyme Out - Katie Fforde

Plus, I noticed yesterday that my library has quite a few possibilities too.

So there we go. Sounds like a lot of fun to me and I'm really looking forward to it.

~~~oOo~~~

8 comments:

verity said...

That sounds fun - Eating for England is great. I wonder if recipe books count?!

Cath said...

Verity: I reckon so, don't you? I'm hoping to get one of Nigel Slater's 'Tender' books this Christmas and if I do I'll be including that. I treated myself to Eating for England yesterday in Waterstones, and the Cook's Delight book. Couldn't resist. Unfortunately, the Virago book of food that I was reading (very slowly as I've been ill) had to go back to the library. But I'll be reclaiming that soon...

DesLily said...

hmmm thinking of food eh? well it must mean you are feeling better! lol

Cath said...

Pat: Yeah, feeling quite a lot better today. Appetite not quite back to normal but that's probably a good thing. heheh.

Jeane said...

Hey I should do this one. I've got quite a few books on my TBR about food, and I haven't read any of them yet.

Margot said...

Cath, I'm so glad you decided to joing the Foodie's Challenge. Your list of possible books looks terrific. I'm looking forward to hearing about them or whatever you decide to read next year.

Nice to meet you. I like what I've seen so far on your blog.

Cath said...

Jeane: that's one of the reasons I'm doing this one - unread books on my tbr mountain. But also, I think it'll be fun.

Margot: thanks for visiting my blog. I'm really looking forward to this challenge as it's something different to the type of challenge I usually do.

Nice to meet you too. :-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I've already read Gordon Ramsay's book. =) It won't be one of the great memoirs of our time, but it gave me a really wonderful sense of someone I had heretofore only known as the cussing chef on Hell's Kitchen. =P

I like him much better on Master Chef--and he sounds more like his writer self on that show.