Wednesday 3 June 2015

Books, books and more books and even a jig-saw puzzle!

This is one of those bits and pieces sort of posts which actually I really enjoy on other people's blogs but hardly ever think to do myself. I really need to change that.

First up, following my post about Roman Blood by Steven Saylor I got several lots of recs and also began looking into what was around in the way of other books and series about Ancient Rome. So I made a little list in case others might be interested and for future reference for myself.

1. Roma Sub Rosa by Steven Saylor. A series of 12 (so far) historical crime books about an investigator called Gordianus the Finder. Lent to me by a friend who I can cheerfully blame for starting all this...

2. Medicus Investigation by Ruth Downie. This is a series of 6 historical crime books featuring Roman doctor, Gaius Petreius. Recced on Facebook by a friend.

3. Master of Rome by Colleen McCullough. An historical series recced by Margaret at Booksplease.

4. Marcus Didius Falco by Lindsey Davis. Another historial crime series. Recommended by Val at Erasmus our Alaskan Cat's blog.

5. Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff. An Historical series written for children but which anyone can enjoy I gather. (I've not read them.)

6. I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves. I watched the wonderful BBC series years ago but have not read the 2 books.

7. Blood Games by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Book 3 in her vampire 'St. Germain' series. I read it back in the 1980s when this American writer's books were very hard to obtain (no internet then). I loved this Ancient Rome instalment.

8. Pompeii by Robert Harris. An historical which I think sounds rather good.

9. Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem. Another one that I thought sounded rather good.

I'm thinking there must be a lot more out there and in fact Goodreads has a list: here but it's hard to know from that what's good and what's not so good. So any recs are most welcome.

I also made myself a shelf on Goodreads of books that I would myself would like to read :

My Ancient Rome shelf


Next up, some photos of recent book acquisitions. Firstly, a couple of birthday books and a couple I bought myself:


From the bottom:

The Golden Age of Murder by Martin Edwards
The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (B/day gift from youngest daughter.)
Dr. Thorne by Anthony Trollope
Burglars can't be Choosers - Lawrence Block (B/day gift from friend.)

Next, the books I bought myself for my birthday because I fancied some Mark Twain:


A Tramp Abroad
Following the Equator
Life on the Mississippi


Such gorgeous covers. I've read A Tramp Broad before but the other two I've not read yet.

And to end this post another photo. My eldest daughter lent me this jigsaw puzzle to do and I thought the subject matter perfect to post here.


If you click on the photo to enlarge you'll hopefully be able to read some of the lovely bookish puns that are the titles of the books. This one was pure joy to do.

~~~oOo~~~

7 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

That is a completely perfect puzzle! Love it!

I read I, Claudius many years ago and thought it was terrific. Rough time to live, but he really brought that period of history to life.

Debi said...

Oh my goodness--I adore that puzzle! Any idea who makes it? I think I shall be off to do a little on-line to see if I can find it. :)

Cath said...

Carl: The puzzle was a real pleasure to do.

I, Claudius is definitely on my list to read.

Debi: The puzzle is made by Ravensburger. Here it is on AmazonUK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravensburger-Bizarre-Bookshop-1000pc-Jigsaw/dp/B0034XQX2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433456061&sr=8-1&keywords=ravensburger+jigsaw+puzzles+1000+pieces

I'm pretty sure it must be available on AmazonUS as well.

BooksPlease said...

Thanks for the list. There are some books on it I've read, some I haven't heard of and of course some I want to read! I loved Rosemary Sutcliffe's books as a child, in particular Brother Dusty Feet, but that isn't set in Ancient Rome! I have Eagle of the Ninth and it has been on several of my must-read lists for ages! I hope we both enjoy it.

I think Pompeii is a great book. I read it a few years ago and it brought history to life for me - it's a book that I've kept, so it must be good. Imperium is another one of Robert Harris' books I'd love to read.

Lovely birthday presents - I have reserved The Buried Giant at the library - but there is a long reservation list!

I'll look at your Ancient Rome shelf on Goodreads and maybe make one for myself - another reading challenge perhaps!

Oh, and I love that puzzle.

Anonymous said...

Yep I love the jigsaw. Need to look out for that one. I have just picked back up a jigsaw started nearly three years ago, but I stopped when my nan died, she loved jigsaws. I'm glad I have gone back to it, even if it has taken so long and the jigsaw is a Christmas scene.

Christine Harding said...

I like your Roman 'invasion'! I Claudius is excellent - the TV series was a brilliant adaptation, so if you loved that, you'll love the book.

Cath said...

Margaret: I've just picked up an omnibus edition of the first three Rosemary Sutcliff books from the library, so am looking forward to starting the first one.

Pompeii is 'definitely' on my 'must read' list. It sounds excellent.

Ancient Rome books would definitely make an enjoyable reading challenge. A summer one perhaps?

Jo: Glad you like the jigsaw. There's something very relaxing about the pastime I think.

Christine: Thank you, I'm glad you like my Roman 'invasion'. I'll definitely try I, Claudius at some stage.